Explore Early Music in Hawaii and Elsewhere
The activities of Early Music groups have increased rapidly in recent years, and so have their audiences – relatively more than for other classical music periods, according to recent studies by the US non-profit organization Early Music America. Early Music Hawaii wants to help you participate in local events with advance email advisories. We also suggest some standing connections for you to explore here in Hawaii and elsewhere:
– The Lutheran Church of Honolulu’s annual series of Abendmusiken Concerts features works by Baroque masters, especially JS Bach. Renaissance and Baroque composers also feature prominently during weekly services, on high holidays and at the only sung Compline Services in Honolulu on Sundays at 9 pm. www.lchwelcome.org.
– Saint Andrew’s Cathedral in Honolulu features some Renaissance and Baroque music in weekly and holiday services and at lunchtime recitals for organ and small ensembles on Wednesdays. The Cathedral also hosts special concerts during the year. www.saintandrewscathedral.net.
– The Hawaii Chapter of the American Recorder Society meets on the third Monday of the month at the Honolulu Academy of Arts Center at Linekona, 11 Victoria St., Honolulu. Email: email@example.com.
– The Waimea Consort performs Renaissance and contemporary madrigals and other vocal music a cappella several times a year and rehearses weekly on Wednesdays.
Email Pat Perez at: firstname.lastname@example.org
-West Hawaii Recorders meets on the first Monday of every month at various locations. For latest information email Marilyn Bernhardt at email@example.com
Listen on Hawaii Public Radio
Weekly programs dedicated to Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque music may be heard on HPR2 , “Your Home for Classical Music” – Oahu & Kauai KIPO 89.3; Maui KIPH 88.3 & KIPM 89.7; Hawaii Island KIPH 88.3, KIPM 89.7 & KAHU 91.3.
Program listings and live streaming at www.hawaiipublicradio.org:
– Saturdays, 6-7pm: The Early Muse, Hawaii Public Radio’s own program created and hosted by Ian Capps.
– Saturdays, 10-11pm: Harmonia, with Angela Mariani
– Saturdays, 9-10 pm: Millennium of Music, with Robert Aubrey Davis
On the Mainland:
– Early Music America (EMA): www.earlymusicamerica.org
– American Recorder Society (ARS): www.americanrecorder.org
– Viola da Gamba Society of America: www.vdgsa.org